Empire of Ald
Humans (also derisively referred to as “brutes”) are a primitive people, related to the orcs, who dwell in the subarctic hill country beyond the dwarven holds. They are tough and stocky creatures with stout, muscular frames of about 5 feet and 200 pounds; they are covered in coarse hair. Humans have large heads with flat faces, sloping foreheads, jutting brows, and large noses. Humans have a tribal culture and an animistic religion. They do not build houses of their own, instead inhabiting natural caves; their clothes are simple animal hides crudely stitched together.
Humans are not part of the empire. Some particularly bright and ambitious individuals have been welcomed as allies of the Noble Races, but none have joined the empire in significant numbers. Civilized races tend to view them as savages at best, but they are actually very friendly and welcoming toward strangers.Human Racial Traits
- Usually neutral.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence.
- Human base land speed is 30 feet.
- Weapon Familiarity: Humans treat bolas and nets as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- Primitive Weapon Mastery (Ex): Humans have a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made with the following weapons: bolas, club, dart, greatclub, goad, harpoon, iuak, javelin, longspear, quarterstaff, ritiik, shortbow, shortspear, sling, spear, sugliin, throwing axe, and tigerskull club.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Survival checks.
- Climate Tolerant (Ex): Humans suffer little harm from environmental extremes of heat or cold. They do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between -20 and 140 F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage. This ability counts as if a human had the Cold Endurance feat for purposes or fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes.
- Illiteracy: Humans do not automatically know how to read and write. A human must spell 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak. He does not automatically gain this skill when taking a nonbarbarian class, with the exception of the wizard class.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Common, Dwarven, Goblin, Goliath.
- Preferred Classes: Barbarian, ranger, shaman.
Feat (for reference)
Cold Endurance [General]
Either because of growing up in the arctic or training your body and mind to ignore the biting effect of cold, you can exist with ease in low-temperature environments.
Prerequisite: Base Fortitude save bonus +2.
Benefit: You can exist comfortably in conditions between 0 F and 90 F without having to make Fortitude saves. You also gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against cold effects.
Cold Endurance doesn’t provide any level of resistance to cold damage.