Empire of Ald
Large, powerful creatures related to giants, ogres are hulking brutes that often find employment as guards, bodyguards, and heavy infantry. Unlike the other wild races, ogres have always lived within the empire’s borders, but only in the last fifty years (in the wake of the Goblin War) have they been granted citizenship. Giants perceive ogres as degenerate cousins, and treat them with disdain and pity in equal measures.
In the empire’s large metropolitan centers, ogres find jobs as cheap labor, though many turn to lives of crime as bandits and muggers. Ogres in the wild, however, live relatively peaceful lives as hunter-gatherers; most such ogres live along the empire’s northwestern mountain borders, where they mix freely with the orc settlers.
Ogres stand nine to ten feet tall with heavy, muscular frames. They resemble giants, but with coarser and more exaggerated features, including pronounced canines and thick hides. They rarely wear more than ragged clothing and crude armor.Ogre Racial Traits
- Usually chaotic.
- +10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
- Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Ogre base land speed is 40 feet.
- Space/reach: 10 feet/10 feet
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Racial Hit Dice: An ogre begins with four levels of humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1. (Unlike most humanoids, ogres have a good Fort saving throw bonus rather than a good Ref bonus.)
- Racial Skills: An ogre’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb, Listen, and Spot.
- Racial Feats: An ogre’s giant levels give it two feats.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An ogre is automatically proficient with simple weapons.
- +5 natural armor bonus.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Orc, Goblin, Goliath.
- Preferred Classes: Barbarian, fighter, shaman.
- Level Adjustment: +2.