Empire of Ald
A divergent offshoot of the serpentkin family, the kobolds were the first of the reptilians to make contact with the empire. They have always lived farther to the north and west than other reptilians, and the Noble Races had always been peripherally aware of their existence, but it wasn’t until the Goblin Horde made its failed grab at conquest that the kobolds came to the empire’s attention. The goblinoid warchiefs had forged an alliance with the scattered kobold clans, promising them a share of the empire’s rich resources once they were won, and the greater part of the scaly creatures left their warrens in the blasted southwestern hills to join the march to war. When the horde was soundly defeated, the goblinoids and kobolds sued for peace, and today reside uneasily alongside the Noble Races.
Kobolds are small (averaging about 3’6”), ruddy-scaled, lizard-like humanoids with spindly limbs, toothy mouths, small horns, and short tails. Amongst themselves, kobolds live in a communal society in hillside warrens, venturing outside after dark. Females lay eggs once a year, and children that hatch are cared for by the entire community (kobolds have no concept of parents or immediate family).
Kobolds have a reputation for being dour and humorless. They have developed an adversarial relationship with the gnomes due to heavy gnomish casualities at kobold hands during the early stages of the war, but maintain friendly relations with the goblinoids. Kobolds living among other races often eke out a living as engineers, architects, miners, trapmakers, and other skilled laborers.
Some kobolds remain outside the empire, a few in their old homelands. Some of these have joined forces with the latest wave of serpentkin invaders.Kobold Racial Traits
- Usually lawful.
- -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
- Small: +1 size bonus to Armor Class, +2 size bonus on attack rolls, +4 size bonus on Hide checks, uses smaller weapons than Medium characters, lifting and carrying limits three-quarters of a Medium character.
- Kobold base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
- +1 natural armor bonus.
- Light Sensitivity: Kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight and within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when “squeezing” through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Weapon Proficiency: Kobolds are automatically proficient with the light pick and heavy pick.
- Weapon Familiarity: Kobolds may treat greatpicks as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d3) and bite (1d3).
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Kithkin.
- Preferred Classes: Sorcerer, rogue, scout.