Empire of Ald
Native to grand cities along the stormy northeastern coast and offshore islands, the vedalken make up the empire’s intellectual elite. They are haughty and proud, viewing other races as backwards mental gnats fit for little more than servants and themselves as the empire’s brain and control center. There have been occasional attempts by the vedalken to seize control of the empire’s government, but all have been quashed by the giants, whom the vedalken have learned to grudgingly respect.
Vedalken live in an atheistic culture with little to no concept of the arts; almost all time is given over to the pursuit of knowledge and through it, power. Despite their unpleasant demeanor, the vedalken are renowned throughout the empire for their command of the mystic and psychic arts and highly valued as advisers and court wizards.
Vedalken have an alien appearance that other races find unsettling. They are tall and spindly, both sexes standing about 6 and a half feet tall and weighing only about 140 pounds. They have pale blue skin and no hair whatsoever. Vedalken faces are flat with muted features: Slitlike mouths and nostrils, no external ears, and white eyes with no irises or pupils.Vedalken Racial Traits
- Usually lawful.
- +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
- Medium size.
- Vedalken base land speed is 30 feet.
- Uncanny Dodge: So supreme are their powers of observation that it is nearly impossible to take a vedalken by surprise. Vedalken receive the Uncanny Dodge ability, as described for the barbarian class.
- Vedalken treat all Knowledge skills as class skills, regardless of their actual class. Vedalken value knowledge above all else.
- +2 racial bonus on Gather Information and Search checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Vedalken. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome.
- Preferred Classes: Wizard (all schools), psion (all disciplines), ardent, monk.